Wednesday 25 May 2011

Why choice is everything...

Daily, we complain about a great many things, some do it more than others, and a very few are the exception. But how much of what is wrong with our lives and the world around us, is a direct result of our own choices?
I most certainly didn’t dig up vast amounts of oil, or design a combustible engine, or a monetary economic system. I did not start a religious war in the middle east. I did not enslave millions of workers and pay them minimum wage. I did not withhold food, or waste it, or spill chemicals into our oceans or over-fish or kill off thousands of species. None of that was my choice…. was it?
Unfortunately, according my own personal set of beliefs, it was. According to my beliefs, if there is a God, and I can prove no existence other than my own beyond a shadow of a doubt, I must be God. Now before everyone condemns me as a heretic, I would ask that you hear me out.
All of reality can be expressed simply through a series of chemical and electrical reactions withing the brain. Therefore, the only true evidence any of us can give ourselves of our own existence, is our own thoughts.
I think, therefore I am - Descartes
Now let’s look at the term God: the dictionary has it as
Definition of GOD 1capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: asa : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universeb Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind2: a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship;specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality3: a person or thing of supreme value4: a powerful ruler-Miriam-Webster
Let us now look at each definition with the understanding that the only reality we can prove is our own.1.
“The supreme or ultimate reality”, seems a very apt description for the only reality that has any corroborative evidence. “Perfect in power” You always have a choice (even if you dont like it) “Wisdom” no-one can understand your reality better than you, “and goodness” do we not strive to live our lives right? have we not created laws and rules to govern our existence according to our understanding of right? “who is worshiped as creator and ruler of the universe” I have not yet found evidence that it was not me who created it, and I certainly tell people often enough that it’s my life. 2.
 ”a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers” you wouldn’t believe some of the things I’ve seen people do, and the more people doing it, the more astounding the things I’ve seen.
3.
“a person or thing of supreme value” ask any mother holding a new born what they value most supremely. And when faced with death or the loss of the material? we begin to value ourselves most supremely
4. 
“a powerful ruler” We are currently subverted from self-rule by adhering to the rule of others, but is their “rule” needed? or do we rule ourselves ultimately?
If I work from the assumption that I am God, then I must take responsibility for all the wrong in my World, and this is where everyone pulls up short, and immediately denies their Godliness. 
I have accepted mine, and am now beginning to flex my Godliness to effect change in my world. I’m choosing to make a difference where I see a need. What are you doing with the rest of your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment